from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Equipped with a system of wires, as for electric, telephone, cable television, or computer network connections.
- adj. Slang Equipped with hidden electronic eavesdropping devices: a wired hotel room.
- adj. Reinforced or supported by wires.
- adj. Tied or bound up with wire: wired bundles of newspaper.
- adj. Slang Having numerous influential connections, as with high-ranking members of an organization.
- adj. Slang Very stimulated or excited, as from a stimulant or a rush of adrenaline.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Equipped with wires, so as to connect to a power source or to other electric or electronic equipment; connected by wires.
- adj. Equipped with hidden electronic eavesdropping devices.
- adj. Reinforced, supported, tied or bound with wire.
- adj. Very excited, overstimulated; high-strung.
- adj. A pair in seven card stud with one face up and one face down
- adj. three of a kind as the first three cards in seven card stud
- adj. connected to the Internet; online
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of wire.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In ornithology, having wires or wiry feathers: chiefly in composition: as, the twelve- wired bird of paradise. Compare wire-tailed, and see wire, verb,6, and cuts under Seleuoides, thread-tailed, Trochilidæ, and Videstrelda.
- In croquet, protected or obstructed by an intervening wire.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. tied or bound with wire
- adj. equipped with wire or wires especially for electric or telephone service
- adj. tense with excitement and enthusiasm as from a rush of adrenaline
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I didn't sleep well at all; maybe I was still wired from the banquet.
As we see in wired internet today, one of those next horizons is non-neutral access for third party applications.
Living in wired Newfoundland has turned George into an Ignatieff-like cosmopolitan snob.
Going wired is now easier than ever, but is digital attachment necessarily a good thing?
A tape made while I was wired is included, You should recognize all of the elements in the tape that would be required for prosecution.
But the danger of seeing something in present-day human behavior and crafting an evolutionary “Just-So Story” to ratify it as hard-wired is very great.
Investments in wired technology are expensive and limited.
I run a website called portaportal, its an online bookmarking utility and its used heavily by teachers to streamline internet work in wired classrooms.
Moaning Lisa was a mannequin wired so that if you touched her in certain erogenous zones she would moan in response.
Both my neighbor (across the street, so wired is out) and I have essentially identical internet setups using Verizon FIOS (20Mbps/5Mbps).
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.