from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, belonging to, or characteristic of a prophet or prophecy: prophetic books.
- adj. Foretelling events as if by divine inspiration: casual words that proved prophetic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of, or relating to a prophecy or a prophet
- adj. predicted, as by a prophecy
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Containing, or pertaining to, prophecy; foretelling events; ; -- used with of before the thing foretold.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining or relating to a prophet or to prophecy; having the character of prophecy; containing prophecy: as, prophetic writings.
- Presageful; predictive: with of before the thing foretold.
- Anticipative; having or tending to a presentiment or an intuitive discernment of the future.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. foretelling events as if by supernatural intervention
Latin propheticus, Ancient Greek προφητικός (prophētikos): compare French prophétique. (Wiktionary)