from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The mathematics of integers, rational numbers, real numbers, or complex numbers under addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- n. Archaic A book on this kind of mathematics.
- adj. Of or relating to arithmetic.
- adj. Changing according to an arithmetic progression: The increase in the food supply is arithmetic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The mathematics of numbers (integers, rational numbers, real numbers, or complex numbers) under the operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- adj. Of, relating to, or using arithmetic; arithmetical.
- adj. Of a progression, mean, etc, computed using addition rather than multiplication.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The science of numbers; the art of computation by figures.
- n. A book containing the principles of this science.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The theory of numbers; the study of the divisibility of whole numbers, the remainders after division, etc. Also called theoretical or higher arithmetic.
- n. The art of computation: the most elementary branch of mathematics.
- n. (pron. ar-ith-met′ ik). An arithmetician.
- n. etc. See the adjectives.
- A less common form of arithmetical.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. relating to or involving arithmetic
- n. the branch of pure mathematics dealing with the theory of numerical calculations
Hollyhock sat down to the midday meal at The Garden in exceedingly low spirits, but her father had now got through what she called his arithmetic, and was full of mirth.
But that kind of arithmetic is not from the Spirit.
Hopeless cnn you are part of it ...!!!!!!!!!! arithmetic is liberal
In that proof, the expressive power of arithmetic is needed to get self-reference and incompleteness.
The use of Peano arithmetic is fairly pervasive in mathematical physics, hence, at first sight, this appears to be highly damaging to the prospects for a final Theory of Everything in physics.
Moreover, whilst Peano arithmetic is axiomatizable, there is a particular model of Peano arithmetic, whose theory is typically referred to as Number theory, which Godel demonstrated to be undecidable and non-axiomatizable.
That road you use to drive to your klan meetings was probably paid for with CA dollars .... show some respect. arithmetic is liberal
He needs to crawl back under the rock he came out from under. arithmetic is liberal
I think you may have just proved that arithmetic is indeed liberal.
If Walstreet reform dies or is weakened to no effect, this simply means Congress chose bribes over doing what they know our national security should be obligating them to do, what anyone with a little education in arithmetic and half a conscience can figure out.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.