from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The Arabic system of numeration; the decimal system.
- n. Computation with Arabic figures.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Obsolete spelling of algorithm.
- n. Computing in, or using, Arabic numerals.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The art of calculating by nine figures and zero; computation with Arabic figures.
- n. the Arabic system of numeration.
- n. The art of calculating with any species of notation
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In arithmetic, the Arabic system of notation; hence, the art of computation with the Arabic figures, now commonly called arithmetic.
- n. Any peculiar method of computing, as the rule for finding the greatest common measure.
- n. Any method of notation: as, the differential algorism.
- n. Also written algorithm.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the Arabic (or decimal) system of numeration
- n. computation with Arabic figures
Middle English algorisme, from Old French, from Medieval Latin algorismus, after Muhammad ibn-Musa al-KHWARIZMI.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Middle English algorisme, from Old French algorisme, from Medieval Latin algorismus. See algorithm. (Wiktionary)