American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A step-by-step problem-solving procedure, especially an established, recursive computational procedure for solving a problem in a finite number of steps.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An erroneous form of algorism.
- n. A precise step-by-step plan for a computational procedure that possibly begins with an input value and yields an output value in a finite number of steps.
- n. archaic Calculation with Arabic numerals; algorism.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a precise rule (or set of rules) specifying how to solve some problem; a set of procedures guaranteed to find the solution to a problem.
- n. a precise rule (or set of rules) specifying how to solve some problem
- From French algorithme; from the Old French algorisme ("the Arabic numeral system"), a modification likely due to a mistaken connection with Ancient Greek ἀριθμός (arithmos); from Medieval Latin algorismus, a transliteration of Arabicized form of the name of the Persian mathematician al-Khwārizmī (الخوارزمي ("native of Khwarezm")). (Wiktionary)
- Variant (probably influenced by arithmetic) of algorism. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“They have very intense and high-level discussions about their work with Dad quite often, and the word algorithm features extremely heavily.”
“The term algorithm simply means a series of steps.”
“I wonder if the algorithm is a little “loose” to get as many copies out as possible? — melissa”
“The term algorithm is derived from the name of the Arabic economist, Al-Khowërazmi, who invented them as a way of performing mathematical operations associated with debt and credit.”
“At Consumer Reports, we’re increasingly encountering the term algorithm in reference to smart appliances: dryers that know when loads are dry, refrigerators that can self-regulate their temperature, and dishwashers that sense when dishes are done.”
“An evolutionary algorithm is a program, and like all programs, is independent on the substrate.”
“In any case, an evolutionary algorithm is a model of the behavior of generalized replicators.”
“The filtering algorithm is mysterious, but you can tweak it by either clicking the little pencil that appears on the right when you hover over an item (you can specify that you would like to see more or fewer items of this type or from this user) or by clicking the "Options for News Feed" link all the way at the bottom of this page.”
“The really cool thing about this algorithm is that the computers in the network figure this all out themselves, without human intervention.”
““The principal datum input to any search algorithm is a description of its search space.””
These user-created lists contain the word ‘algorithm’.
A list of words which yield surprising, beautiful, amusing, or otherwise noteworthy images here on Wordnik.
The most frequent words in the titles of mathematical books and journals (www.sciencedirect.com)
nonparametric, nonparametric sta..., multivariate anal..., partial different..., multivariate, topology, stochastic, differential equa..., linear algebra, harmonic analysis, applied mathematics, combinatorial and 205 more...
Arabic loanwords in English are words acquired directly from Arabic or else indirectly by passing from Arabic into other languages and then into English. Most entered one or more of the Romance lan...
Terms from the fields of terminology, lexicography, lexicology and corpus linguistics
Word discovery & discussion by CSUMB first-year students, to help with required texts.
Everbody knows where 'hazard' came from,More Arabic Words?
My big word list.
Looking for tweets for algorithm.