from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Characterized by or consisting of two parts or components; twofold.
- adj. Of or relating to a system of numeration having 2 as its base.
- adj. Chemistry Consisting of or containing only molecules consisting of two kinds of atoms.
- adj. Of or employing two comparatively nontoxic chemicals that combine to produce a deadly poison: binary weapons; a binary nerve gas.
- adj. Music Having two sections or subjects.
- n. Something that is binary, especially a binary star.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Being in a state of one of two mutually exclusive conditions such as on or off, true or false, presence or absence of a signal.
- adj. Concerning logic whose subject matter concerns binary states.
- adj. Concerning numbers and calculations using the binary number system.
- adj. Having two equally important parts; related to something with two parts.
- adj. Of an operation, function, procedure, or logic gate, taking exactly one operand, argument, parameter, or input; having domain of dimension 2.
- adj. Of data, consisting of arbitrary values; that is, not interpretable as plain or ASCII text.
- n. The bijective base-2 numeral system, which uses only the digits 0 and 1.
- n. An executable computer file.
- n. A star system consisting of only two stars.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Compounded or consisting of two things or parts; characterized by two (things).
- n. That which is constituted of two figures, things, or parts; two; duality.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Twofold; dual; double; twain; twin; paired: said of anything which is composed of two things or considered as divided into two things.
- In botany, having the organs in twos: applied to flowers: equivalent to dimerous.
- n. A whole composed of two; a dyad.
- In astronomy, a pair of stars which revolve around their common center of gravity; a binary star.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. consisting of two (units or components or elements or terms)
- n. a pre-compiled, pre-linked program that is ready to run under a given operating system; a binary for one operating system will not run on a different operating system
- adj. of or pertaining to a number system have 2 as its base
- n. a system of two stars that revolve around each other under their mutual gravitation
Middle English binarie, from Late Latin bīnārius, from Latin bīnī, two by two; see dwo- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Late Latin bīnārius ("consisting of two"), from Latin bīnī ("two-by-two, pair"). (Wiktionary)