from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A linear array of digits that represents a real number, every decimal place indicating a multiple of a negative power of 10. For example, the decimal 0.1 = 1/10 , 0.12 = 12/100 , 0.003 = 3/1000 . Also called decimal fraction.
- n. A number written using the base 10.
- adj. Expressed or expressible as a decimal.
- adj. Based on 10.
- adj. Numbered or ordered by groups of 10.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The number system that uses the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9.
- n. A number expressed in this system.
- n. A decimal place.
- n. A numeral written as a concatenation of successive negative powers of the base.
- n. A decimal point.
- adj. Concerning numbers expressed in decimal or mathematical calculations performed using decimal.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to decimals; numbered or proceeding by tens; having a tenfold increase or decrease, each unit being ten times the unit next smaller
- n. A number expressed in the scale of tens; specifically, and almost exclusively, used as synonymous with a decimal fraction.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to the tenth or to tens; proceeding by tens.
- Relating to tithes.
- n. An expression denoting a decimal fraction by an extension of the decimal notation.
- Of an angle, one sixtieth of a right angle.
- Of an arc, one two-hundred-and-fortieth of a circumference.
- Of time, 0.01 of an hour; 0.6 of an ordinary minute.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. numbered or proceeding by tens; based on ten
- n. a number in the decimal system
- n. a proper fraction whose denominator is a power of 10
Five hundred men were caught shirking their duty; one out of every ten was selected for execution, which is why the procedure was called decimation analogous to our word decimal, that is, one-tenth.
The doubling of the severity for each decimal is simply a rule of thumb, it is accurate enough for a layman I think.
The sum of a terminating decimal and a repeating decimal is a repeating decimal, so we are done.
Converting from binary to decimal is based on multiplication; converting from decimal to binary is based on division.
For example, one can enter a number in decimal, have it converted to binary to be stored, and then have it end up being a different number when one prints it out.
Also, if you are not paying attention and he stops it at $20 pesos and then hopes you don't notice the decimal is in the wrong place, you are out $180 pesos of gas.
Following that is the ib-value of 100 decimal, which is 64 hex.
The offset 17 decimal, which is 11 hex, will fit in a single "d8" byte, so we take our value from the
What is known as the decimal or the Dewey system of classification was originally suggested by Mr.N. B. Shurtleff's "Decimal system for the arrangement and administration of libraries," published at B.ston in
The Maya scale is decimal through its first 20 numerals, and, if it is to be regarded as a mixed scale, must be characterized as decimal-vigesimal.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.