from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The numerical symbol 0; a cipher.
- n. Mathematics The identity element for addition.
- n. Mathematics A cardinal number indicating the absence of any or all units under consideration.
- n. Mathematics An ordinal number indicating an initial point or origin.
- n. Mathematics An argument at which the value of a function vanishes.
- n. The temperature indicated by the numeral 0 on a thermometer.
- n. A sight setting that enables a firearm to shoot on target.
- n. Informal One having no influence or importance; a nonentity: a manager who was a total zero.
- n. The lowest point: His prospects were approaching zero.
- n. A zero-coupon bond.
- n. Informal Nothing; nil: Today I accomplished zero.
- adj. Of, relating to, or being zero.
- adj. Having no measurable or otherwise determinable value.
- adj. Informal Absent, inoperative, or irrelevant in specified circumstances: "The town has . . . practically no opportunities for amusement, zero culture” ( Robert M. Adams).
- adj. Meteorology Designating a ceiling not more than 16 meters (52 feet) high.
- adj. Meteorology Limited in horizontal visibility to no more than 55 meters (180 feet).
- adj. Linguistics Of or relating to a morpheme that is expected by an established, regular paradigm but has no spoken or written form. Moose has a zero plural; that is, its plural is moose.
- transitive v. To adjust (an instrument or a device) to zero value.
- zero in To aim or concentrate firepower on an exact target location.
- zero in To adjust the aim or sight of by repeated firings.
- zero in To converge intently; close in: The children zeroed in on the display of toys in the store window.
- zero out To eliminate (a budget or budget item) by cutting off funding.
- zero out To reduce to zero.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The cardinal number occurring before one and that denotes no quantity or amount at all, represented in Arabic numerals as 0.
- n. The numeric symbol that represents the cardinal number zero.
- n. The digit 0 in the decimal, binary, and all other base numbering systems.
- n. Nothing, or none.
- n. The value of a magnitude corresponding to the cardinal number zero.
- n. The point on a scale at which numbering or measurement originates.
- n. A value of the independent variables of a function, for which the function is equal to zero.
- n. The additive identity element of a monoid or greater algebraic structure, particularly a group or ring.
- n. A person of little or no importance.
- n. A Mitsubishi A6M Zero, a long range fighter aircraft operated by the Japanese Navy Air Service from 1940 to 1945.
- n. A setting of calibrated instruments such as a firearm.
- n. A security which has a zero coupon (paying no periodic interest).
- adj. none
- adj. Of a cloud ceiling, limiting vision to 50 feet (15 meters) or less.
- adj. Of horizontal visibility, limited to 165 feet (50.3 meters) or less.
- adj. Present at an abstract level, but not realized in the data.
- v. To set a measuring instrument to zero; to calibrate instrument scale to valid zero.
- v. To change a memory location or range to values of zero; to set a variable in a computer program to zero.
- v. To cause or set some value or amount to be zero.
- v. To eliminate; to delete; to overwrite with zeros.
- v. To disappear
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A cipher; nothing; naught.
- n. The point from which the graduation of a scale, as of a thermometer, commences.
- n. Fig.: The lowest point; the point of exhaustion.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In function-theory, a value of x which makes the function vanish.
- n. In psychophysics, the temperature at which a thermal stimulus fails to arouse a sensation either of warmth or of cold in the cutaneous organs; the indifference-point of thermal stimulation.
- n. Cipher; the figure 0, which stands for naught in the Arabic notation for numbers.
- n. The defect of all quantity considered as quantity; the origin of measurement stated as at a distance from itself; nothing, quantitatively regarded.
- n. Hence—3. Figuratively, the bottom of the scale; the lowest point or ebb; a state of nullity or inanition.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a quantity of no importance
- adj. of or relating to the null set (a set with no members)
- n. the sight setting that will cause a projectile to hit the center of the target with no wind blowing
- adj. indicating the absence of any or all units under consideration
- n. the point on a scale from which positive or negative numerical quantities can be measured
- adj. indicating an initial point or origin
- v. adjust (an instrument or device) to zero value
- n. a mathematical element that when added to another number yields the same number
- v. adjust (as by firing under test conditions) the zero of (a gun)
- adj. having no measurable or otherwise determinable value
Italian, from alteration of Medieval Latin zephirum, from Arabic ṣifr, nothing, cipher; see cipher.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French zéro, from Italian zero, from Medieval Latin zephirum, from Arabic صفر (ṣifr, "nothing, cipher"). (Wiktionary)