from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Tenfold.
- adj. Divided or counted by tens; decimal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An ancient coin, the denarius.
- adj. containing ten parts
- adj. based on the number ten
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Containing ten; tenfold; proceeding by tens.
- n. The number ten; a division into ten.
- n. A coin; the Anglicized form of denarius.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Containing ten; tenfold.
- n. A division by tens; a tithing: as, “tythings or denaries,”
- n. A denarius.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. numbered or proceeding by tens; based on ten
- adj. containing ten or ten parts
Latin dēnārius, from dēnī, by tens; see dekm̥ in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the Middle English denarie, from the Latin dēnārius, used elliptically for dēnārius nūmus ("denary coin”, “coin containing ten asses"); compare denary². (Wiktionary)
First attested in 1577; from the Latin dēnārius ("containing ten"), from denī ("ten each”, “ten at a time") + -ārius (whence the English suffix -ary). (Wiktionary)