from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the number eight.
- adj. Consisting of eight members or of groups containing eight.
- n. A group or set of eight.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of eighth rank or order.
- adj. Consisting of eight things
- n. A group of eight things
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the number eight.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Consisting of eight; computing by eights; octaval.
- n. Same as ogdoad.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the cardinal number that is the sum of seven and one
Latin octōnārius, containing eight, from octōnī, eight each, from octō, eight; see oktō(u) in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the Latin octōnārius ("containing eight"), from octōnī ("eight at a time”, “by eights”, “eight each") + -ārius (whence the English suffix -ary). (Wiktionary)