American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or affecting the parasympathetic nervous system: parasympathetic activity; parasympathetic agents.
- n. The parasympathetic nervous system.
- n. Any of the nerves of this system.
- adj. Of or relating to the part of the autonomic nervous system that inhibits or opposes the effects of the sympathetic nervous system.
- adj. of or relating to the parasympathetic nervous system
- n. originates in the brain stem and lower part of the spinal cord; opposes physiological effects of the sympathetic nervous system: stimulates digestive secretions; slows the heart; constricts the pupils; dilates blood vessels
“Once the threat has diminished, the part of our bodies known as the parasympathetic nervous system then brings everything back into order.”
“The other system you have is called the parasympathetic and it is associated with being totally relaxed.”
“He said this gradual development of diabetes "happens through what is called the parasympathetic nervous system, not directly through eating food.”
“If we help them imagine and visualize healing, we may change the chemicals rushing through the body from sympathetic nervous system fight-or-flight chemicals to parasympathetic nervous system chemicals that allow rest, nurturance and healing to occur.”
“The researchers found that autonomic parasympathetic vagal control was stronger in the yoga practitioners, compared with the non-yoga practitioners.”
“In the elective case, there is a rapid pressure change in the autonomic nervous system, where parasympathetic shock is common.”
“What you need most right now is to slow things down, and this means what we call "down regulating" the stress response, getting your parasympathetic nervous system on board.”
“And then following posts will emphasize solutions to these problems, from activating the soothing and recharging parasympathetic nervous system to mobilizing more of your inner resources to address the real challenges our planet faces.”
“People under harmful stress lose the ability to re-engage the parasympathetic nervous system, which drives the body's day-to-day natural functions, including digestion and sleep.”
“Moving yourself into a healthy parasympathetic state, and staying there as much of the time as possible, helps heal all health conditions, both physical and emotional ones as well.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘parasympathetic’.
It's an odd-looking pattern in English. Please add words if it makes you happy. :) K-POW! Wow @gulyasrobi!
Funny sounding things found in bodies. Might be split up into several lists later...
A roster of adjectives that infrequently surface in typical conversation and writing. Many are dredged from scientific or other technical jargon or sieved from examples of disused archaic forms.
Well, it's not all bad. But too much is.
Looking for tweets for parasympathetic.