from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Physiology Of, relating to, or controlled by the autonomic nervous system.
- adj. Physiology Occurring involuntarily; automatic: an autonomic reflex.
- adj. Resulting from internal stimuli; spontaneous.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Acting or occurring involuntarily, without conscious control.
- adj. Pertaining to the autonomic nervous system.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having the power of self-government; autonomous.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Relating to autonomy; having the power of self-government; autonomous; self-governing; independent.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. relating to or controlled by the autonomic nervous system
You know it ` s easy to blame the mother and father and to try to draw a direct link, but researchers showing that if someone has anti-social or sociopathic personality, that sometimes they have what we call autonomic under arousal, meaning they don ` t have as much anxiety as you and I do about getting into trouble.
This is because the brain, of course, which controls the emotions like anxiety is also linked to the heart through what we call the autonomic nervous system.
I had to confront my parents today; they wouldn’t use the term autonomic dysfunction or Shy-Dragers.
Let's deconstruct that in autonomic terms: the windmill adapted its state to the new environment, using the external change as both the power and the alignment for the internal change.
There’s a chance you’d experience what we call autonomic hyperreflexia, uncontrolled reflex motion.
In this portion of the nervous system, then, there is a kind of self-government and it is therefore known as the autonomic nervous system.
It is for this reason called the autonomic nervous system.
(It was formerly called the sympathetic nervous system, but this term is now limited to one part of this system, and the term autonomic to another part, although some writers still use the term sympathetic for the whole, and others [the English] the term autonomic for the whole.)
What is known as the autonomic or vegetative nervous system and various nerve transmitter substances become imbalanced, which further worsens the course of the disease.
I think this reflex demonstrates evolutionary relics in the wiring of a part of the nervous system called the autonomic nervous system.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.