from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Occurring as single atoms: Helium is a monatomic gas.
- adj. Having one replaceable atom or radical.
- adj. Univalent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of an element, consisting of a single atom in the molecule; for example: the noble gases. Note: strictly speaking, a molecule has at least two atoms.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. Consisting of, or containing, one atom.
- adv. Having the equivalence or replacing power of an atom of hydrogen; univalent.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having the same valence or atomicity as hydrogen, represented by unity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to an element consisting of a single atom
Sorry, no etymologies found.