from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the area under the tongue.
- adj. Of or relating to the hypoglossal nerve.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of or pertaining to the area under the tongue
- n. Any of the nerves under the tongue.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Under the tongue; -- applied esp., in the higher vertebrates, to the twelfth or last pair of cranial nerves, which are distributed to the base of the tongue.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Situated under the tongue, wholly or in part: specifically applied to a pair of nerves
- n. A hypoglossal nerve. Also hypoglossus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. supplies intrinsic muscles of the tongue and other tongue muscles
hypo- + Greek glōssa, tongue.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
hypo- + glossal (Wiktionary)