American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Coming from, characteristic of, or relating to a sibyl.
- adj. Prophetic; oracular.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to the sibyls or their productions; uttered, written, or composed by sibyls; like the productions of sibyls: as. sibylline leaves; sibylline oracles; sibylline verses.
- Prophetical; especially, obscurely or enigmatically oracular; occult; cabalistic.
- adj. Of or pertaining to a sibyl or female oracle, especially the Cumaean Sibyl and the Sibylline Books.
- adj. by extension Having oracle-like predicting powers, clairvoyant.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Pertaining to the sibyls; uttered, written, or composed by sibyls; like the productions of sibyls.
- adj. having a secret or hidden meaning
- adj. resembling or characteristic of a prophet or prophecy
“Aventine erected on the cave of the Sibyl and communicating with the profound and sacred breath; taverns where the tables were almost tripods, and where was drunk what Ennius calls the sibylline wine.”
“The cabarets of the Faubourg Saint-Antoine resemble those taverns of Mont Aventine erected on the cave of the Sibyl and communicating with the profound and sacred breath; taverns where the tables were almost tripods, and where was drunk what Ennius calls the sibylline wine.”
“She has a kind of sibylline intuition and the right to be irrationally”
“Voluspa," or Song of the Prophetess, a kind of sibylline lay, which contains an account of the creation, the origin of man and of evil, and concludes with a prediction of the destruction and renovation of the universe, and a description of the future abodes of happiness and misery.”
“You will grow up to be quite a reprobate, my scandalous pup—a favourite with the ladies … and the gentlemen, he predicted in a sibylline voice.”
“Perhaps, if one extrapolates from Obama's sibylline statement: Mitt Romney gives the impression of being too much of a secularist and not enough a Christian or too much the supporter of a cult?”
“It's all there, and, thanks to Simak's skilled hand at the wheel, it's all in place: suave, sibylline, swift.”
“It is an inward and sibylline sound of swazzle notes and speaking stones.”
“You asked for it: a sibylline political comment from Mr. Obama.”
“Amyas, to whom such utterances were altogether sibylline and unintelligible, answered by:”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sibylline’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words that sound pretty.
Care about your social environment? Save these endangered words from extinction... don't delay, adopt an out~of~date adjective today!
EXPECTED vs. SURPRISE
Looking for tweets for sibylline.