American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or having the power of divination; prophetic.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Relating or pertaining to prophecy or divination, or to one supposed to be inspired; prophetic: as, mantic fury.
- n. Divination; an object used in divination.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. rare Of or pertaining to divination, or to the condition of one inspired, or supposed to be inspired, by a deity; prophetic.
- adj. resembling or characteristic of a prophet or prophecy
- Ancient Greek μαντικός (mantikos), from μάντις (mantis, "seer, soothsayer"), from μαίνομαι (mainomai, "I am mad, raving"). (Wiktionary)
- Greek mantikos, from mantis, seer; see men-1 in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Robbie Williams and Gary Barlow celebrated their "bro-mantic" reunion by embracing last night during their first live performance together for the first time in 15 years.”
“I imagine Ian harbors some resentment for Rick Barnes going back to his days in the ACC at Clemson when he and Dean Smith were not exactly 'bro-mantic' coaching colleagues.”
“But these guys have been bro-mantic through a lot of Clooney relationships.”
“But (shall I say?) that some of them appeared too ro-mantic for a settled brain to be so earnest, as she is, for having them carried into execution.”
“I am afraid, said Lady Betty, humouring this ro-mantic speech, that if the heads of such persons were as soft as we are apt sometimes to think them, they would be of as little service abroad as they are at home.”
“He call me Mrs. Boombastic say me fantastic, touch me in me back he say I'm Mrs. Ro...mantic”
“I AM SO COOL AND PUNNY!!! look what i just did!!! woe-mantic?!”
“Jefferson (who embraced English Unitarian theology in his later years) is the moral rationalist; Emerson (who started his career as a Unitarian minister) is the mantic intuitionist.”
“Whilst Corelli poked behind the cupboard with a broomstick, Arsenios 'mantic voice and Bunny Warren's wild amens drifted musically through the window:' … Our inheritance is turned to strangers, our houses to aliens.”
“I just finished watching "Sweet Home Alabama" which I thought was very cute and 'mantic.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘mantic’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
A list of words whose meanings I am learning, either because a) I don't know the meaning b) I know the meaning, but could stand to better appreciate certain inflections or secondary meanings or c) ...
Another of my Random Palavery lists, still an eclectic listing of terms that catch my eye and ear. It can't be helped. I am, (as a former partner phrased it) a word-bird.
Looking for tweets for mantic.