from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Used as a Hindi courtesy title for a man, equivalent to Mr.
- n. A Hindu clerk who is literate in English.
- n. Offensive A native of India who has acquired some superficial education in English.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A Hindu title of respect, equivalent to Mr.; hence, a Hindu gentleman or official.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A Hindu title of address, equivalent to sir or Mr., given to gentlemen, clerks, etc.: formerly applied in some parts of Hindustan to certain persons of distinction.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. used as a Hindi courtesy title; equivalent to English `Mr'
Hindi bābū, father.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Hindi बाबू (bābū) (Wiktionary)