from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A toy musical instrument with a membrane that produces a buzzing sound when a player hums or sings into the mouthpiece.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a simple musical instrument consisting of a pipe with a hole in it, producing a buzzing sound when the player hums into it.
- v. to play the kazoo.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of toy or rude musical instrument, as a tube inside of which is a stretched string or membrane made to vibrate by singing or humming into the tube.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A so-called musical instrument or toy, consisting of a wooden tube of peculiar shape, containing a vibrating strip of catgut.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a toy wind instrument that has a membrane that makes a sound when you hum into the mouthpiece
Perhaps imitative of its sound.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Probably onomatopoeic. (Wiktionary)