from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Being unpaid when due: an overdue bill.
- adj. Coming or arriving after the scheduled or expected time: an overdue train.
- adj. Expected or required but not yet having come about.
- adj. Being something that should have occurred earlier. See Synonyms at tardy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Late; especially, past a deadline or too late to fulfill a need.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Due and more than due; delayed beyond the proper time of arrival, payment, return, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Delayed or with-held beyond the usual or assigned time: as, an overdue ship.
- Unpaid at the time assigned or agreed on: as, an overdue bill.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. past due; not paid at the scheduled time
Sorry, no etymologies found.
BTW while an eruption might be overdue the term overdue in geologic time could mean tomorrow or it could be 100,000+ years from now.
I also hate the term overdue, depending on your cycle a due date can be off several days.
But it would not pay the billions of dollars in overdue bills that have already built up.
The next governor faces a budget shortfall that could reach $15 billion, and the state has $6.4 billion in overdue bills owed to school districts, social-service providers and others.
Stop nitpicking at everything President Obama does and give him his credit where his credit is so long overdue from the media.
In the case of the country's second ranking honour, the Ordré du Merite, the new list, already almost two months overdue, is expected to include equal numbers of men and women for the first time.
That a fresh biography of Spector — the unhinged music producer par excellence whose fame and misfortune are legendary (and cautionary) — was overdue is unquestionable.
So here, a little overdue, is my column from the May issue.
It's way overdue from the Democrats & their union supporters.
Since the book is five months overdue from the library, I better get working on the post.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.