from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A hot dish made of melted cheese and wine and eaten with bread.
- n. A similar dish, especially one consisting of a melted sauce in which pieces of food, such as bread, meat, or fruit, are dipped or cooked: chocolate fondue.
- n. A soufflé usually made with cheese and bread crumbs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A dish made of melted cheese, chocolate etc., or of a boiling liquid into which food can be dipped.
- v. To prepare or serve as a fondue.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A dish made of cheese, eggs, butter, etc., often seasoned with kirsch and white wine, melted together, and usually used as a dip for pieces of bread.
- n. A dish consisting of pieces of solid food cooked in or dipped into a hot sauce.
- adj. Melted.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A cheese-pudding, made of grated cheese, eggs, butter, and seasoning.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. cubes of meat or seafood cooked in hot oil and then dipped in any of various sauces
- n. hot cheese or chocolate melted to the consistency of a sauce into which bread or fruits are dipped
French, from feminine past participle of fondre, to melt; see fondant.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French fondue ("melted"), from fondre ("to melt"). (Wiktionary)