from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Something that serves to guide or direct in the solution of a problem or mystery.
- transitive v. To give (someone) guiding information: Clue me in on what's happening.
- n. Variant of clew1.
- v. Variant of clew1.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A strand of yarn etc. as used to guide one through a labyrinth; something which points the way, a guide.
- n. Information which may lead one to a certain point or conclusion.
- n. An object or a kind of indication which may be used as evidence.
- v. To provide with a clue (often used with "in" or "up").
- v. To provide someone with information which he or she lacks.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A ball of thread; a thread or other means of guidance. Same as clew.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A ball or skein of thread or yarn.
- n. The thread or yarn that is wound into the form of a ball; thread in general.
- n. Hence Anything that guides or directs one in an intricate case; a guide or key to the solution of a puzzle or problem, or the unraveling of a plot or mystery: in allusion to the mythological story that Theseus was guided by a clue of thread through the Cretan labyrinth.
- n. A measure of yarn or hemp, 4,800 yards.
- n. Nautical, a lower corner of a square sail or the aftmost corner of a fore-and-aft sail.
- Nautical, to haul up to the yard (the lower corners of a topsail, topgallantsail, or royal) by means of the clue-lines: used with up.
- To direct, as by a clue or thread.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a slight indication
- n. evidence that helps to solve a problem
- v. roll into a ball
Variant of clew1 (from Theseus's use of a ball of thread as a guide through the Cretan labyrinth).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Variant of clew, "a ball of thread or yarn", with reference to the one which the mythical Theseus used to guide him out of the Minotaur's labyrinth. (Wiktionary)