American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A hanging, easily swung length of canvas or heavy netting suspended between two trees or other supports and used as a seat or bed.
- n. Variant of hummock.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of hanging bed. Hammocks used at sea, especially on men-of-war, are made of canvas, and have a number of cords at each end, called
clues, which are brought together and secured to an iron ring, which is hung on a hook attached to the deck-beams. Those used in the tropical parts of America and in summer in the north are usually formed of a network of Panama grass or small cords.
- n. In entomology, the hammock-like sack or case carried by the larvæ of certain tineid moths, as Œcophora harrisiella, hence called case-bearers.
- n. See hummock.
- n. A swinging couch or bed, usually made of netting or canvas about six feet wide, suspended by clews or cords at the ends.
- n. US, archaic A piece of land thickly wooded, and usually covered with bushes and vines.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A swinging couch or bed, usually made of netting or canvas about six feet long and three feet wide, suspended by clews or cords at the ends.
- n. Southern U. S. A piece of land thickly wooded, and usually covered with bushes and vines. Used also adjectively.
- n. a small natural hill
- n. a hanging bed of canvas or rope netting (usually suspended between two trees); swings easily
- From Spanish hamaca, from Taino. Columbus, in the narrative of his first voyage, says: “A great many Indians in canoes came to the ship to-day for the purpose of bartering their cotton, and hamacas, or nets, in which they sleep.” (Wiktionary)
- Spanish hamaca, from Taino. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Stepping out of the hammock is a clearly satisfied Indian maiden.”
“I also agree with the above comments – the hammock is not only a different and creative take on the concept but it is a great, functional design.”
“The giant hammock is amazing but would never be allowed in the US.”
“Working in a hammock is every bit as good as it sounds (at least for the first hour or two).”
“The back yard hammock is so more enjoyable when the next-door neighbour isn't blasting guitar-rock.”
“Rated best maintenance free hammock and with a weight capacity of 450 lbs, this hammock is perfect by the pool or for a waterfront property.”
“Tailor made for two, this Quick Dry single layer hammock is crafted of DuraCord fabric.”
“Immediately upon hearing this I called the hammock-bearers together, and going down to the beach, I went a considerable way along it toward”
“I have sometimes been with the swinging hammock the native mother prepares for her sick infant – apparently so much easier than aught we have in our more civilized homes; easier for the child, because it gets the motion without the least jar; and easier for the nurse, because the hammock is strung so high as to supersede the necessity of stooping.”
“At the Duke of Devonshire's, at Chiswick, a hammock is hung between two trees for the purpose of a swing.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hammock’.
I'm pro-Pro(lagus). Are you?
all the soft pret..., coffee by the gallon, cook for an appre..., no italian politics, i like dinosaurs, facciamo scarpett..., eighteenth-centur..., hot men in knee b..., amusing bear spawn, liberty bell, better sushi than..., university of pa ... and 109 more...
Inspired by fbharjo (see spitchcock).
Nice ambient words from the movie. (With apologies to Patrick O'Brian.) Aaaah, life at sea...aboard a hulk of the British navy in 1805...
this list include words which are a little of the hook, off the records.
Whoever who thinks it took him a while to get familier with the analogy of that word can add it here.....feel free to ...
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
My big word list.
being items related to boats, ships, sailing, nautical and naval lore &c.
words that take me back
One word: immediate pictures in the head
Looking for tweets for hammock.