from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The 21st letter of the modern English alphabet.
- noun Any of the speech sounds represented by the letter u.
- noun The 21st in a series.
- noun Something shaped like the letter U.
- noun A grade that indicates an unsatisfactory status.
- abbreviation up quark
from The Century Dictionary.
- An abbreviation of underproof, as applied to alcoholic liquors.
- noun An abbreviation of
United States(of America).
- noun An abbreviation of United Brethren; of United Brethren in Christ.
- noun An abbreviation of Uncle Sam
- noun of United Service
- noun [lowercase or cap.] of the Latin ut supra, as above.
- noun An abbreviation of Italian una corda, on one string.
- noun An abbreviation of
- noun An abbreviation of University College; of Upper Canada; of the Latin urbis conditæ, from the founding of the city, moaning from the first year of Rome.
- The twenty-first character and fifth vowel-sign in the English alphabet.
- As a symbol: The chemical symbol of uranium.
- In quaternions, an operational sign which, prefixed to the symbol of a quaternion, denotes the versor of that quaternion.
- In the theory of heat, a symbol used to denote the energy, or the sum of the increment of heat and the heat consumed.
- [lowercase] In the calculus, the symbol of a function.
- [lowercase] In hydrodynamics, used with v and w to denote the rectangular components of the velocity.
- An abbreviation [l. c] in a ship's log-book, of ugly threatening weather; [l. c] of uncle; of Unionist.
- noun An abbreviation of
United Kingdom(of Great Britain and Ireland).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- the twenty-first letter of the English alphabet, is a cursive form of the letter V, with which it was formerly used interchangeably, both letters being then used both as vowels and consonants. U and V are now, however, differentiated, U being used only as a vowel or semivowel, and V only as a consonant. The true primary vowel sound of U, in Anglo-Saxon, was the sound which it still retains in most of the languages of Europe, that of long
oo, as in tool, and short oo, as in wood, answering to the French ouin tour. Etymologically U is most closely related to o, y(vowel), w, and v; as in two, d uet, d yad, t wice; t op, t uft; s op, s up; a uspice, a viary. See v, also oand y.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The twenty-first letter of the
basic modern Latin alphabet.
- noun The twenty-first
letterof the English alphabet, called uand written in the Latin script.
- noun The name of the
Latin scriptletter U/ u.
- noun A thing in the shape of the letter U
- pronoun abbreviation, slang, text messaging, Internet
you(in text messaging and internet conversations)
- noun metrology symbol for unified atomic mass unit
- noun phonetics Used in the
International Phonetic Alphabetand in several romanization systems of non-Latin scripts to represent a close back rounded vowel ( IPA: /u/).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective (chiefly British) of or appropriate to the upper classes especially in language use
- noun a base containing nitrogen that is found in RNA (but not in DNA) and derived from pyrimidine; pairs with adenine
- noun a heavy toxic silvery-white radioactive metallic element; occurs in many isotopes; used for nuclear fuels and nuclear weapons
- noun the 21st letter of the Roman alphabet
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word u.
Ai has update ur profile..u r now a Man seeking a Penguin and ur interestz r nude karaoke and glueing urself to stuff look, u alreddy haz responses!
Ai has update ur - Lolcats 'n' Funny Pictures of Cats - I Can Has Cheezburger? 2010
Um, Judson…..u mite wanna be careflol abowt teh contrakshuns u postify heer….
Kitty rule #2 - Lolcats 'n' Funny Pictures of Cats - I Can Has Cheezburger? 2009
May 20, 2010 at 8:30 pm dame girl u drivin people crazy..u bad..meaning that u bye makes u SEXY
And thank Christ u weren't lying down anymore like u did in ur previous vlog..u took my advice.
How to Date a Tough Girl floreta 2009
February 11, 2009 at 2:46 pm not bad, not bad…not digging the green face, but its only concept art…give me the fuckin dinobts bay…all these other robots are ok, but all i want is grimlock eating at least one robot on the big screen….u say everything u do is awesome, but whats more awesome than a robot t-rex….a robot t-rex that can transform into a sword wielding manbot thats what
Yup….alldem plaises….u juz nebber notice cuz u wernt lukkin fur dem
ur bag has an angry - Lolcats 'n' Funny Pictures of Cats - I Can Has Cheezburger? 2008
Ai culd nawt use my abatar at home once beecuz ai wuz still logged awn at werk….u izzint logged awn anywhere else iz u ?
Head, shoulders… - Lolcats 'n' Funny Pictures of Cats - I Can Has Cheezburger? 2008
Wi haz sum berry clebber peeps heer…..u wil haz teerz ov lafftur n ur ais wehn u reed sum ov teh non-patee commintz!
I no can haz peetsa, - Lolcats 'n' Funny Pictures of Cats - I Can Has Cheezburger? 2008
January 25, 2008 at 1:18 am awrite, awrite, i plays haws wif u, littl gurl…….u gots enny toona feesh?
I dunno… - Lolcats 'n' Funny Pictures of Cats - I Can Has Cheezburger? 2008
March 10, 2008 at 1:20 pm luuk in2 mai i…….u b getteng sleeeepeeeeee…….cheeeeeeezzzzburrrgrrrr……..u getz teh cheeezburgerrrr, u cuukks it in teh pan……..u surves teh cheeezburrgerrr 2 teh kitteh………
In the darkest depths of Mordor… - Lolcats 'n' Funny Pictures of Cats - I Can Has Cheezburger? 2008
oroboros commented on the word u
U. Chemical element symbol for Uranium.
December 1, 2007
abrimmer commented on the word u
"U" is used as a substitute for "you" in text messages and internet chat. It will be interesting to see if it moves into everyday writing. "If U can read this, thank ur your teacher."
April 14, 2009
marky commented on the word u
short for you.
April 27, 2009