from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having been delayed; done or sent too late: a belated birthday card.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Later in relation to the proper time something should have happened.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of belate.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Delayed beyond the usual time; too late; overtaken by night; benighted.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Coming or staying too late; overtaken by lateness, especially at night; benighted; delayed.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. after the expected or usual time; delayed
be- + lated.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)