from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Coated with a thin adherent layer of metal. Often used in combination: a gold-plated ceramic bowl; a silver-plated pen.
- adj. Covered with protective plates or sheets of metal. Often used in combination: an armor-plated truck; a steel-plated safe.
- adj. Knitted with two kinds of yarn, one on the face and one on the back.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of plate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Strengthened with plates of metal and defensive armor.
- Covered or overlaid with a different and especially a richer material: as,plated silk hose; plated forks and spoons.
- In zoology, covered or protected with hard dermal plates or scutes; scutate or loricate; shielded
Sorry, no etymologies found.
All joking aside, the problem of what to do with one's $#%& car, other than wait ten years and hope that it will be one of the cars that can be nationalized and legalized and plated, is one which comes up again and again.
For a moment, the room became strikingly clear, he saw the giant chitin plated alien that had first offered him a fix in a bar off base, coached him through his first purchase, and had always been around to hook him up when he needed a fresh hit.
Nevin plated Brian Giles with a long triple into center field.
Phil Nevin plated a run with an infield single, Brian Giles added a two-run base hit and
Nevin plated San Diego's second run when he singled in the third and later scored on Gant's single to right.
Eckstein plated a run by reaching on a fielder's choice and stole second when Adam Kennedy fanned for the second out.
An error by pitcher Paul Shuey allowed a run to score and Eckstein plated a run with a groundout.
Besides my creepy goth chick died saving the paladin’s tin plated ass.
This is done every way the same as gold plating (using coin) except that rock salt is used instead of the cyanuret of potassium to hold the silver in solution for use, and when it is of the proper strength of salt it has a thick curdy appearance, or you can add salt until the silver will deposit on the article to be plated, which is all that is required.
A VIP cigar room even features name plated recliners.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.