from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Coated with a thin adherent layer of metal. Often used in combination: a gold-plated ceramic bowl; a silver-plated pen.
- adj. Covered with protective plates or sheets of metal. Often used in combination: an armor-plated truck; a steel-plated safe.
- adj. Knitted with two kinds of yarn, one on the face and one on the back.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of plate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Strengthened with plates of metal and defensive armor.
- Covered or overlaid with a different and especially a richer material: as,plated silk hose; plated forks and spoons.
- In zoology, covered or protected with hard dermal plates or scutes; scutate or loricate; shielded
Sorry, no etymologies found.