from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Conforming to standards of conduct and good taste; suitable: seemly behavior.
- adj. Of pleasing appearance; handsome.
- adv. In a seemly manner; suitably.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Appropriate.
- adv. Appropriately, fittingly.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Suited to the object, occasion, purpose, or character; suitable; fit; becoming; comely; decorous.
- adv. In a decent or suitable manner; becomingly.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Becoming; fit; suited to the object, occasion, purpose, or character; suitable; decent; proper.
- Comely; goodly; handsome; beautiful.
- In a decent or suitable manner; becomingly; fitly.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. according with custom or propriety
Middle English semely, from Old Norse sœmiligr, from sœmr, fitting; see sem-1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Middle English semely. (Wiktionary)