from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Characterized by or exhibiting decorum; proper: decorous behavior.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Marked by proper behavior.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Suitable to a character, or to the time, place, and occasion; marked with decorum; becoming; proper; seemly; befitting
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Characterized by or conspicuous for decorum; proper; decent; especially (of persons), formally polite and proper in speech and conduct.
- Synonyms Fit, seemly, comely, orderly, appropriate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. characterized by propriety and dignity and good taste in manners and conduct
- adj. according with custom or propriety
Our definition of "decorous" is rather stodgy and inhibited compared to much of the rest of the civilized world.
Nothing of the Endicott in face or manner, nothing tragical, the expression decorous and formal, perhaps a trifle quizzical, as this was their first meeting since the interview in
Years back, before either had married, they had luxuriated together in what would today be termed an affair, although neither then would have conceived of applying a title so decorous to the things they were doing with each other so ardently and incessantly, with never a pledge or serious care of a future together.
Smuts said the coverage also gave the always "decorous" policy unit head and minister of public enterprises, Jeff Radebe, a shot at selling and answering questions on the party's election manifesto.
So he really has been actually kind of decorous in what he has been willing to say.
You have yet to hear the 'decorous' and thrilling part of my tale.
This lasted until spring; then came a sensation and scandal, such as decorous Heatherton had not known since the time
She has expressed ambivalence when asked, which is either a decorous reluctance to appear too eager for the brass ring or a reflection of real doubt.
His decorous declarations ringing in freedom from behind the bars of a Birmingham cell -- daring to call forth those things that be not as though they were.
So at four in the morning, I went into the "massage room" and fell asleep while receiving a very decorous shiatsu massage by a man who kept reminding me to make sure my kimono was tightly shut.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.