American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Appropriate, suitable, or proper.
- adj. Pleasing or attractive to the eye.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Fit; suitable; congruous; proper; belonging to the character, or adapted to the circumstances: formerly sometimes followed by of.
- Suitable to the appearance or style of; be-fitting esthetically: as, a becoming dress. Synonyms Meet, appropriate, fitting, seemly, comely, decent.
- n. Something worn as an ornament.
- n. That which is suitable, fit, or appropriate.
- n. In metaphysics, the transition from non-existence into existence; an intermediate state between being and not being; a state of flux; the state of that which begins to be, but does not endure; change; development: opposed to being.
- v. present participle of become.
- n. The act or process in which something becomes.
- adj. pleasingly suitable to the particular person involved.
- adj. decent, respectable
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Appropriate or fit; congruous; suitable; graceful; befitting.
- n. obsolete That which is becoming or appropriate.
- adj. according with custom or propriety
- adj. displaying or setting off to best advantage
“The film cost $40 million, which means that Universal will have to hope for uncommonly strong legs as well as the title becoming a casual family rental choice over the next several years.”
“Her smile faded as he left the house, her expression becoming serious with concern.”
“He sighed, looking toward the woman, his expression becoming more serious.”
“My house burnded down, he says, his expression becoming utterly grave.”
“Then he canted his head to the side, his expression becoming pensive, his gaze faraway.”
“He turned to face Koloth, his expression becoming haunted as he thought of young Stephen Garrovick.”
“Vash groaned in frustration, her expression becoming almost that of a wild creature held against its will.”
“He shrugged, his expression becoming almost playful.”
“He pointed at the slave and closed his eyes, his expression becoming one of deep inner concentration.”
“Her attention switched to Trace, her expression becoming a little distant.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘becoming’.
Beautiful, attractive, well-formed
Ugly, unattractive, malformed
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
Please contribute lots of panegyrical words—preferably such that are of universal use.
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
mostly from magoosh
Words from the new GRE : This list consists mostly of words from the book Magoosh-GRE-vocab-ebook, which is one of the best vocab materials available, especially if you have started preparing one ...
Looking for tweets for becoming.