from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Appropriate, suitable, or proper.
- adj. Pleasing or attractive to the eye.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of become.
- n. The act or process in which something becomes.
- adj. pleasingly suitable to the particular person involved.
- adj. decent, respectable
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Appropriate or fit; congruous; suitable; graceful; befitting.
- n. That which is becoming or appropriate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Fit; suitable; congruous; proper; belonging to the character, or adapted to the circumstances: formerly sometimes followed by of.
- Suitable to the appearance or style of; be-fitting esthetically: as, a becoming dress.
- n. Something worn as an ornament.
- n. That which is suitable, fit, or appropriate.
- n. In metaphysics, the transition from non-existence into existence; an intermediate state between being and not being; a state of flux; the state of that which begins to be, but does not endure; change; development: opposed to being.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. according with custom or propriety
- adj. displaying or setting off to best advantage
Sorry, no etymologies found.