American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Having a bearing on or connection with the matter at hand.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To the purpose; pertinent; applicable: as, the testimony is not relevant to the case.
- In law, being in subject-matter germane to the controversy; conducive to the proof or disproof of a fact in issue or a pertinent hypothesis. See irrelevant.
- In Scots law, sufficient legally: as, a relevant plea.
- Synonyms and Apposite, appropriate, suitable, fit.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. rare Relieving; lending aid or support.
- adj. Bearing upon, or properly applying to, the case in hand; pertinent; applicable.
- adj. (Scots Law) Sufficient to support the cause.
- adj. having a bearing on or connection with the subject at issue
- From Old French relevant ("assisting"), from Latin relevāns, present active participle of relevō ("lift up again, lighten, relieve"), from re- ("again") + levō ("lift"). (Wiktionary)
- Medieval Latin relevāns, relevant-, from Latin, present participle of relevāre, to relieve, raise up; see relieve. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The only way he gets to remain "relevant" is for the "corporatists" he hates to remain in power, and he best acheives that goal by taking votes away from Democrats.”
“Needless to say, Chris is the most commercially successful and contemporarily totally a word relevant of the artists nominated, but when the award has gone to the younguns in the past, it's been more traditionally soulful artists like Alicia Keys, India Arie and D'Angelo rather than an explicit pop crossover artist like Young Breezy.”
“Radditz does not say who the many are and the only use of the term relevant to the current situation that I could find was”
“In that first season starting with 'Rose' the Doctor was the mysterious figure he'd always been hooking new viewers in with questions which suddenly made the title relevant again as it became a question; but then with the addition of news of the destruction of his home planet (not named properly for another two years) fans were drawn in with questions about what happened which still haven't been completely answered.”
“Sooner or later, the word "relevant" is gonna get tossed around and it's kind of hard to claim relevance holding an upright bass and rocking a 30-year-old song selection.”
“Other times, it just seems like you've heard it a million times, especially any sentence with the word "relevant" in it: "I think the vision for Judaism 2030 is: How do we, as synagogues and small communities around the country, manage to remain relevant to the lives of our constituents while they live in a global world?”
“Zigtag is redefining the term relevant on the Internet!”
“They have a quality of what I call relevant irrelevance.”
“And former England international Hopley, chief executive of the Rugby Players' Association, intends pursuing the matter with what he describes as "relevant national and international bodies".”
“This personalized dynamic has faded with democratization, but the memory and vestiges of it remain relevant in Mexican politics today.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘relevant’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
admissible, absolute grounds ..., abstract, acquisition of th..., action for revoca..., admissibility of ..., acceptable, allowable, appeal to a court, appellant, applicant, application and 338 more...
Use these and get promoted
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
words from work
Legal glossary with special focus on courtroom vocabulary
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
Words related to the mental state of "being in the present in the moment".
You can manipulate this list here: http://www.visualthesaurus.com/wordlists/184552
need to know these words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favorite word" and adds it to this list.
unfathomably, glice, cuh, fab, ciggaty, doll, thuggin, oxymoronic, pineapple, succubutt, griming, cheeky and 3027 more...
My list of words.
Looking for tweets for relevant.