American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One that provides relief.
- n. Baseball A relief pitcher.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which relieves or gives relief.
- n. In gunnery, an iron ring fixed to a handle by means of a socket, which serves to disengage the searcher of a gun when one of its points is retained in a hole.
- n. A garment kept for being lent out.
- n. In mech.: A release; a device for releasing some part of a mechanism at a certain time or position.
- n. A device, such as a spring or elastic substance, for preventing shocks on a machine or part.
- n. baseball A relief pitcher.
- n. Someone who fills in for another.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who, or that which, relieves.
- n. a pitcher who does not start the game
- n. someone who takes the place of another (as when things get dangerous or difficult)
- n. a person who reduces the intensity (e.g., of fears) and calms and pacifies
“That's what being a reliever is all about, Qualls said.”
“You can also administer a pain reliever as directed by the doctor.”
“It's a pain reliever; it will wear off or we'll run out of pain relievers and then we'll be left with a huge deficit.”
“Manager Joe Girardi brought in reliever David Robertson, who immediately surrendered a two-run home run to Nelson Cruz.”
“You can administer a pain reliever as directed by the doctor.”
“I'm pretty sure that Dr. Seltzer's was comprised of pain reliever + caffeine.”
“Exs.: "aspirin" (once a trademark of some Bayer company for salicylic-based pain reliever); "Thermos" (once a trademark attributable to a single source of glass-lined vacuum bottles).”
“Bradford arrived in Seattle on Saturday morning after the Rays acquired the side arm-throwing reliever from the Baltimore Orioles on Thursday for a player to be named.”
“The patch on her leg pumping her a pain reliever may have something to do with that, too, but she seems very happy to be home and is very happy to be petted!”
“•Florida: Taylor Tankersley looks to be the favorite to close but no Marlins reliever is worth taking early.”
Looking for tweets for reliever.