from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that provides relief.
- n. Baseball A relief pitcher.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A relief pitcher.
- n. Someone who fills in for another.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, relieves.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which relieves or gives relief.
- n. In gunnery, an iron ring fixed to a handle by means of a socket, which serves to disengage the searcher of a gun when one of its points is retained in a hole.
- n. A garment kept for being lent out.
- n. In mech.: A release; a device for releasing some part of a mechanism at a certain time or position.
- n. A device, such as a spring or elastic substance, for preventing shocks on a machine or part.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a pitcher who does not start the game
- n. someone who takes the place of another (as when things get dangerous or difficult)
- n. a person who reduces the intensity (e.g., of fears) and calms and pacifies
Sorry, no etymologies found.