from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that retrieves, especially any one of several breeds of dog that were developed and trained to retrieve game.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of gun dog that retrieves game for a hunter.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who retrieves.
- n. A dor, or a breed of dogs, chiefly employed to retrieve, or to find and recover game birds that have been killed or wounded.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who retrieves or recovers.
- n. Specifically, a dog trained to seek and bring to hand game which a sportsman has shot, or a dog that takes readily to this kind of work.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a dog with heavy water-resistant coat that can be trained to retrieve game
My one big concern with a spaniel as a retriever is weather.
The ball retriever is not long enough to get my putter out of the tree.
Marley, a lovable Labrador retriever, is always getting himself into trouble.
GREENVILLE, Maine – Thumper, a black Labrador retriever is getting credit for saving a Greenville man when a fire swept through his home.
We had springer spaniels at one time that we ran in retriever trials and had them removed for a good reason - they were forever getting caught in bushes and ripped up with all of the possibilities of infection.
The best way to get great results from your retriever is to get into his head.
The golden retriever is the second most popular breed registered by the American Kennel Club (62,500 pups last year).
Of the 147 dog breeds registered with the American Kennel Club, the Labrador retriever is far and away the most popular (166,000 pups registered last year).
A golden retriever is fine, and cats are all right if they don’t do much.
A retriever is a breed highly valued by hunters to get the game after the shot but the retrieving ability is not innate as these dogs have to undertake training before they can be useful hunter's companions. fetch command is one of the basic obedience lessons that can be learned easily by the dog.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.