from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that retrieves, especially any one of several breeds of dog that were developed and trained to retrieve game.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of gun dog that retrieves game for a hunter.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who retrieves.
- n. A dor, or a breed of dogs, chiefly employed to retrieve, or to find and recover game birds that have been killed or wounded.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who retrieves or recovers.
- n. Specifically, a dog trained to seek and bring to hand game which a sportsman has shot, or a dog that takes readily to this kind of work.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a dog with heavy water-resistant coat that can be trained to retrieve game
retrieve + -er (Wiktionary)