from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various medium-sized short-haired hounds developed for fox hunting, especially either of two breeds, the English foxhound and the American foxhound.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A breed of medium sized dog bred for hunting.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of a special breed of hounds used for chasing foxes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A hound for chasing foxes: a variety of hound in which are combined, in the highest degree of excellence, fleetness, strength, spirit, fine scent, perseverance, and subordination.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. medium-sized glossy-coated hounds developed for hunting foxes
Sorry, no etymologies found.