from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several dogs, such as a deerhound, formerly used in hunting stags and other large game.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several large dogs once bred to hunt stags.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A large and powerful hound formerly used in hunting the stag, the wolf, and other large animals. The breed is nearly extinct.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A hunting-dog able to overtake and cope with a stag.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a large heavy hound formerly used in hunting stags and other large game; similar to but larger than a foxhound
From stag + hound. (Wiktionary)