from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various large dogs, such as the Irish wolfhound or the borzoi, trained to hunt wolves or other large game.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A dog of one of various breeds originally developed to hunt wolves.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Originally, a large hound used in hunting wolves; now, any one of certain breeds of large dogs, some of which are nearly identical with the great Danes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A dog used in hunting wolves.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the largest breed of dogs; formerly used to hunt wolves
Sorry, no etymologies found.