American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of a breed of tall, slender dogs having a narrow, pointed head and a silky, predominantly white coat, originally developed in Russia for hunting wolves. Also called Russian wolfhound.
- n. A breed of dog also knows as the Russian Wolfhound.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. tall, slender fast-moving dog breed; called also
- n. tall fast-moving dog breed
- From Russian борзой (borzój), from борзый ("swift"). (Wiktionary)
- From Russian borzoĭ, swift, variant of borzyĭ. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Running over a borzoi with my Volkswagen would not have prepared me for helping a veterinarian treat a dog who ran into traffic.”
“So next morning I am in wet Carmarthen High Street, awaiting sight of a black borzoi nose held low.”
“Every breed of dog, from dachshund to Dalmatian, from boxer to borzoi, from poodle to Pekinese, from Great Dane to chihuahua, has been carved, chiselled, kneaded, moulded, not literally as flesh and bone but in its gene pool.”
“Indeed, they are unusual in that the elongation of the snout begins before they are born, which probably makes borzoi puppies less proficient suckers than other breeds.”
“I knew a pursun who obedience traind teh borzoi an it is very hard, yes.”
“I hadda borzoi wunce, an dis was utterly tru bout him.”
“Maybe Whiskey, the Irish Wolfhound, should meet your borzoi!”
“Though I wish it could have been a borzoi my breed.”
“It is the gold girl who is the borzoi, the only borzoi, in the garden.”
“The borzoi as I have tried to understand it, as I have striven to breed it, is completely missplaced here.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘borzoi’.
Another range of words from the intermediate to the advanced speller's level.
List of words from phrontistery.info
dog dogs and more dogs anything
I can think of ,canids and their
my favourite African wild dog
all have 42 teeth
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
Words to my liking. (The most lovelybeautifulintricatecondecendinggratuitous.)
Words gathered while reading Speak, Memory by Vladimir Nabokov.
need to learn these words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looking for tweets for borzoi.