from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A parhelion.
- n. A small halo or rainbow near the horizon just off the parhelic circle.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of sun dog.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A luminous spot occasionally seen a few degrees from the sun, supposed to be formed by the intersection of two or more halos, or in a manner similar to that of halos.
- n. A fragmentary rainbow; a small rainbow near the horizon; -- called also dog and weathergaw.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A mock sun, or parhelion.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a bright spot on the parhelic circle; caused by diffraction by ice crystals
Sorry, no etymologies found.