American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of a breed of powerful dog developed in Alaska as a sled dog and having a thick gray, black, or white coat.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A local name for the Eskimo dog, apparently used in Alaska.
- n. A ancient northern breed of dog of the husky type, particularly used as a sled dog.
- n. breed of sled dog developed in Alaska
- So called because the dogs were bred by the Mahlemuit (from Inupiak malimiut), a people of western Alaska. (Wiktionary)
- Short for malamute dog, from Inupiaq Malimiut, name of a subgroup of the Inupiaq. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The malamute is the Esquimau dog; and what for want of a better name is called the "Siwash" is the Indian dog.”
“It should also be stated that the terms "malamute" and "husky" are very generally confused and often used interchangeably.”
“My intense 85-pound malamute-lab mix was down to a frail, passive 60 pounds.”
“Rufus, a malamute/shepherd mix, suddenly lost all function in his hind legs.”
“The Saturday before Christmas 2007, Rufus, the malamute/shepherd mix I'd adopted three years earlier from the shelter, was suddenly, inexplicably paralyzed from his shoulders back.”
“It's a robopoll, so not a lot of additional data, but a nice snapshot of the lay of the land and Craig's relative strength. malamute”
“Just the threat of having to face their money gets him to vote their way and in return they only have to spend a small amount of money to show their endorsement of him. malamute”
“This is a story about a politician acting political ... so, umm ... and? malamute”
“Who gives a rat's ass WHY politicians vote as long as they cast progressive votes? malamute”
“Wye's career seems to be falling into place, he says, just as his personal life has taken a hit: A four-year relationship ended in October, and Wye's 10-year-old malamute-retriever mix, Fred, died in March.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘malamute’.
dog dogs and more dogs anything
I can think of ,canids and their
my favourite African wild dog
all have 42 teeth
yugoslavian trico..., yugoslavian mount..., yorkshire terrier, xoloitzcuintle, whippet, wetterhoun, westphalian basset, west highland whi..., welsh terrier, welsh springer sp..., welsh corgi, weimaraner and 121 more...
My Favorite Words
A mixture of words that I like or have commented on, along with ones parked here so they'd be listed somewhere or remind me of lists I want to make.
Names of places, animals, plants, people, etc. found in and around Alaska.
Looking for tweets for malamute.