American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A brindled color.
- n. A brindled animal.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being brinded; a color or mixture of colors, of which gray is the base, with bands of a darker gray or black color: as, “a natural brindle,” Richardson, Clarissa Harlowe.
- n. A name of the mudfish or bowfin, Amia calva. See cut under Amiidæ.
- n. A streaky colouration in animals.
- n. An animal so coloured.
- adj. Having such a colouration; brindled
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The state of being brindled.
- n. A brindled color; also, that which is brindled.
- adj. Brindled.
- adj. having a grey or brown streak or a pattern or a patchy coloring; used especially of the patterned fur of cats
- Back-formation from brindled. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“NEW PORT RICHEY - Seven days after he was born, Thomas James Carter Jr. was mauled to death Wednesday by his parents 'dog, described as a brindle pit bull terrier by the Pasco County Sheriff's Office.”
“An 'satins rich as cream thet grows on our ol' brindle's milk;”
“Ibilao have the same dog in two colors, the black and the "brindle”
“oh, i had it right the first time. but now i realize "brindle" probably won't phase her at all; she tends to dogs.”
“oh! not hunter? darn. still, "brindle" should give her a start.”
“On the porch, he held a brindle male by the scruff.”
“Yes | No | Report from Cgull wrote 2 weeks 1 day ago pit bull/great dane mix Tigger had the face and color of a brindle pit bull, the size, heart and temperment of a great dane, would'nt hurt a thing.”
“My first dogs name - Boo, Amego, a brindle great dane/pit bull mix - tiger, Blue and (lol) Sharona!”
“Her mother was black lab and beagle, and her father was black lab and pitbull, so she is a black lab with brown pitbull brindle on her legs and face, and she barks like a beagle!”
“The body of a brown brindle-and-white pit bull, which was buried in a shallow grave, was unearthed by Humane Society officers behind an apartment building.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘brindle’.
N stands for 'nasal', not 'n'
Vendors can get oddly creative.
These are lexical items new to me that I've discovered in actual use (i.e. not in dictionaries, lists, or this site).
Looking back over this list, I haven't the slightest idea what mos...
By David Foster Wallace
originally started as an attempt to collect words I found visually and auditorially beautiful, as well as psychically evocative, this has become nothing more than a grab bag of word curiosities, a ...
Words and phrases from Jonathan Stroud's book, The Golem's Eye.
A big list of color names for use on wordrainbow.com
Words used to describe the color and pattern of mammalian fur.
Words encountered while reading Iain Banks's terrific "The Crow Road"
Looking for tweets for brindle.