from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of emboss.
- adj. With raised letters or images on the surface.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Formed or covered with bosses or raised figures.
- adj. Having a part projecting like the boss of a shield.
- adj. Swollen; protuberant.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Formed of or furnished with bosses or raised figures: as, embossed leather; embossed writing.
- In botany, projecting in the center like the boss or umbo of a round shield or target.
- Swollen; puffed up.
- In entomology, having several plane tracts of any shape elevated above the rest of the surface: said of the sculpture of insects.
- In glassdecoration, grained.
- Foaming at the mouth and panting, as from exhaustion with running: a hunting term formerly applied to dogs and beasts of the chase.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. embellished with a raised pattern created by pressure or embroidery
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Weeks later, when he failed to return, she went through his desk and found the wedding invitation with his name embossed as the groom.
It was a beautiful leather-bound journal with my name embossed in gold.
She ran her finger over the name embossed on the card as she read it aloud.
No disc jockey, no hired entertainers, no fancy favors with my name embossed on a T-shirt or stitched onto a baseball cap.
Has the title embossed in gold in the shape of a banner and a painting of two knights on horseback gazing across about 50 yards of sea at a castle on a rock.
In New York there were hundreds of portrait studios with his name embossed above the transom, yet here among some of his own countrymen, he was a heretic, his invention a thief of souls.
Cork took it and looked carefully at the word embossed in black across the metal.
Frowning, Tess turned the book and read the name embossed in gold on the front cover.
When it came in the mail, it was such a rush to hold this shiny card with my name embossed on it.
One part is the pill, a standard white capsule coated with a label embossed with silvery lines.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.