from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to engraving or carving, especially on precious stones.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to engraving, especially on precious stones.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to gem engraving.
- adj. Figured; marked as with figures.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to carving or engraving: as, the glyptic art. See glyptics.
- In mineralogy, figured.
Greek gluptikos, from gluptos, carved, from gluphein, to carve; see gleubh- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)