Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as score, n., 8.
- n. In founding, the bursting or splitting of a casting from unequal contraction in cooling. This accident is especially likely to happen to cylinders and similar works if the core does not give way when the casting cools.
E. H. Knight.
- n. In music, the act, process, or result of writing out in score, of orchestrating in some particular manner, or of arranging for a different instrument: same as instrumentation, orchestration, or transcription.
- n. In racing, the act of bringing a horse and his rider over and over again to the score or starting line, so as to make a fair start.
- adj. Of something or someone that scores.
- n. The process of keeping score in a sport or contest.
- n. The process of winning points in a sport or contest.
- n. The action of scratching paper or other material to make it easier to fold.
- v. present participle of score.
- n. evaluation of performance by assigning a grade or score
“It is this area of the ice that defines the term "scoring chance," and we should see a skater convert ~15 percent of them to goals, on average.”
“Notes: Blue Jackets rookie center Derek Brassard, second on the team in scoring, is out indefinitely due to a separate shoulder sustained in a fight.”
“Iverson finished 15-of-25, including three 3-pointers, but he was hardly alone in scoring from the perimeter.”
“Notes: Posey's season-high in scoring is 26 points, at New Jersey in December. ...”
“Junior Jazz Covington, who leads the team in scoring, is seventh on Louisville's career rebounding list.”
“The Lady Gamecocks also had a 19-4 edge in scoring from the free-throw line and a 47-30 rebounding advantage.”
“We have tried to make a comparison and have done what we call scoring, to see what is the degree of freedom from state regulations," Thomas Estermann, the lead author of the report, said in a telephone interview from Brussels.”
“They've gone to what I call the scoring areas in front of the net.”
“Hillary bowling, Obama bowling, basketball .... i guess the only person 'scoring' is bubba.”
“As a freshman, Sean Berry led UMES in scoring twice and rebounding seven times.”
Looking for tweets for scoring.