from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A portrait that shows only the upper half and hands of a person.
- adj. Of or relating to a half-length portrait.
- adj. Of half the full length.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of half the whole or ordinary length, as a picture.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of half the full or ordinary length; showing only the upper part of the body, as a portrait.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. representing only the upper half of the body
- n. a portrait showing the body from only the waist up
- adj. abridged to half its original length
Sorry, no etymologies found.