American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. That can be transmitted: transmissible signals.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Capable of being transmitted, in any sense.
- adj. able to be transmitted
- adj. medicine capable of being transmitted from one person to another; contagious
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Capable of being transmitted from one to another; capable of being passed through any body or substance.
- adj. occurring among members of a family usually by heredity
- adj. (of disease) capable of being transmitted by infection
- adj. inherited or inheritable by established rules (usually legal rules) of descent
“He coined the term transmissible spongiform encephalopathy.”
“What makes a genre story transmissible, which is to say, accessible and meaningful to the reader, is its use of genre tropes.”
“That would change though if it became human-to-human transmissible, which is the concern with the Indonesian cluster.”
“Prion diseases, also known as transmissible spongiform encephalopathies, primarily damage the brain.”
“They come on the equivalent of a genetic memory stick -- a string of genes called a transmissible genetic element.”
“But the news last week of a death at UW Hospital due to Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease brought to mind once again the dangers of the neurological illnesses known as transmissible spongiform encephalopathies, or TSEs.”
“Prion diseases, also known as transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs), are infectious neurodegenerative diseases affecting the brain of several species of mammals including humans.”
“Christian name among all her women descendants -- this particular lady belonged to what you might call a caste or priestly family, as it were, of hereditary fortune-tellers, every one of whose ancestors had been specially selected for generations for the work, till a kind of transmissible mesmeric habit got developed among them.”
“CTVT is a kind of transmissible cancer that occurs in "feral dogs" as well as Tasmanian devils, according to Clare Rebbeck, one of the authors of the report.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘transmissible’.
Tricksy buggers! I've not included those where neither is favorable.
( personal list, randomness )
related external links:
hypermobility, amphibious, immortality, cybernetic, endothelium, hyperform, biodiversity, adaptation, thermoregulation, ecophysiology, ectothermic, endothermic and 95 more...
Looking for tweets for transmissible.