American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A shade of a color, especially a pale or delicate variation.
- n. A gradation of a color made by adding white to it to lessen its saturation.
- n. A slight coloration; a tinge.
- n. A barely detectable amount or degree; a trace.
- n. A shaded effect in engraving produced by fine, close, parallel lines.
- n. Printing A panel of light color on which matter in another color is to be printed, as in an illustration.
- n. A dye for the hair.
- v. To give a tint to or take on a tint.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A variety of a color, especially and properly a luminous variety of low chroma; also, abstractly, the respect in which a color may be varied by more or less admixture of white light, which at once increases the luminosity and diminishes the chroma. In painting, tints are the colors, considered as more or less bright, deep, or thin, by the due use and combination of which a picture receives its shades, softness, and variety.
- n. In engraving, a series of parallel lines cut upon a wood block with a tint-tool, so as to produce an even and uniform shading, as in clear skies.
- To apply a tint or tints to; color in a special manner; tinge.
- A Scotch preterit of tine.
- n. A slight coloring
- n. A pale or faint tinge of any color; especially, a variation of a color obtained by adding white (contrast shade)
- n. A color considered with reference to other very similar colors; as, red and blue are different colors, but two shades of scarlet are different tints
- n. A shaded effect produced by the juxtaposition of many fine parallel lines
- v. transitive, intransitive to shade, to color
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A slight coloring.
- n. A pale or faint tinge of any color.
- n. A color considered with reference to other very similar colors.
- n. (Engraving) A shaded effect produced by the juxtaposition of many fine parallel lines.
- v. To give a slight coloring to; to tinge.
- v. color lightly
- n. a quality of a given color that differs slightly from another color
- Alteration of earlier tinct, from Latin tinctus ("dyed"), past participle of verb tingō ("I tinge"). (Wiktionary)
- Alteration of tinct. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“When you can manage to tint and gradate tenderly with the pencil point, get a good large alphabet, and try to _tint_ the letters into shape with the pencil point.”
“So the amber tint is awesome you can see straight to the bottom”
“A good all around tint is rose or a lighter amber.”
“The transparency effect of the terminal window looks great and I love the colour (the same effect with the same tint is used for tooltips).”
“The placing your figures in half tint is sacrificing them to the landscape, which I acknowledge is beautiful, — but the figures ought to be principal.”
“Simply make the measurements in centimeters, choose the thickness and tint from a sample display on the counter, and in a few minutes you have perfect panes.”
“There were pinkish streaks among the rock, and it seemed that some of the chromatic tint from the atmosphere owed its origin to these.”
“Her eyes, too – Thyra recalled them – hazel in tint, deep, and laughter-brimmed.”
“In motion as well as in tint these astral bodies of material things have an ever-changing individuality – faithfully following or waiting beside their prototypes.”
“This court was all of pink marble, so delicate in tint, that it reminded one of the glow on the cheek of a babe just aroused from its sleep.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘tint’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Good for poetry, or just artistic on their own.
Turned this up on etymonline.com (link). It's amazing.
1937, coined in the fantasy tales of J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973).
On a blank leaf I scrawled: 'In a hole...
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Vocabulary building for my quest of GRE 2013
"yvonne i can always tell which submissions you've written because you love to use the same words"
Words from 2008 'Vicky Cristina Barcelona' film.
Looking for tweets for tint.