from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A black enamel or lacquer used to produce a durable glossy finish.
- n. An object decorated with this substance.
- transitive v. To decorate with a black enamel or lacquer.
- transitive v. To coat with a glossy finish.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A hard black enamel varnish containing asphalt.
- n. Lacquer ware.
- v. To varnish with japan.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to Japan, or to the lacquered work of that country.
- n. Work varnished and figured in the Japanese manner; also, the varnish or lacquer used in japanning.
- transitive v. To cover with a coat of hard, brilliant varnish, in the manner of the Japanese; to lacquer.
- transitive v. To give a glossy black to, as shoes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to Japan: as, Japan varnish (now written “japan varnish,” without reference to the country); Japan work, etc.
- n. Work varnished and figured in the manner practised by the natives of Japan.
- n. A liquid having somewhat the nature of a varnish, made by cooking gum shellac with linseed-oil in a varnish-kettle.
- n. An asphaltum varnish.
- n. A black cane.
- To varnish with japan; cover with any material which gives a hard black gloss.
- To invest with the black coat of a clergyman; ordain.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. coat with a lacquer, as done in Japan
- n. lacquer with a durable glossy black finish, originally from the orient
- n. a string of more than 3,000 islands to the east of Asia extending 1,300 miles between the Sea of Japan and the western Pacific Ocean
- n. lacquerware decorated and varnished in the Japanese manner with a glossy durable black lacquer
- n. a constitutional monarchy occupying the Japanese Archipelago; a world leader in electronics and automobile manufacture and ship building
The Idea of dropping the PS3 in japan is a marketing ploy in a bone dry market.
First of all This style in japan is called bozo zuko style.
He thinks that talking big in japan and Asia, he can get back his credibility.
Yeah, the truth .. like secret blacklists in japan for people that dis health care ..
I live in japan n could download skype app early this morning … It works amazingly fine.
The second world war for japan is seen much differently than we in the west see it.
Pilotshark says: pezmiztix says: and the fact that chinese were brutalized and raped by the japan. by the japan? japan is a country, remember us dropping two atomic bombs on the japan, how do you thing the china felt about that. you know you are not even smart enough to be ignorant, you unpatriotic coward.
But i agree, woman rights in japan are still a big problem and like every piece of art its always a mirror of its society and im quite sure these games (RapeLay or God of War) are showing up because of the characteristics of our society.
The markets more focused in japan but penetrating that stuff is a whole another can of worms.
May 12, 2009 at 8: 10 AM umm i would say somewhere in japan
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.