American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A black enamel or lacquer used to produce a durable glossy finish.
- n. An object decorated with this substance.
- v. To decorate with a black enamel or lacquer.
- v. To coat with a glossy finish.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to Japan: as, Japan varnish (now written “japan varnish,” without reference to the country); Japan work, etc.
- n. Work varnished and figured in the manner practised by the natives of Japan.
- n. A liquid having somewhat the nature of a varnish, made by cooking gum shellac with linseed-oil in a varnish-kettle. Litharge or some similar material is also usually added to quicken the drying of the resulting japan. When it has been cooked down to a very thick mass termed a “pill,” it is allowed to cool, and is then thinned down with turpentine, Japan is a light-colored brownish-yellow liquid, of about the consistency of varnish. A thin surface of it dries in from fifteen to thirty minutes. It is used principally as a medium in grinding japan colors. A small portion added to ordinary house-paints makes them dry more rapidly, hence it is sometimes called
- n. An asphaltum varnish.
- n. A black cane.
- To varnish with japan; cover with any material which gives a hard black gloss.
- To invest with the black coat of a clergyman; ordain.
- n. A hard black enamel varnish containing asphalt.
- n. Lacquer ware.
- v. transitive To varnish with japan.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Work varnished and figured in the Japanese manner; also, the varnish or lacquer used in japanning.
- adj. Of or pertaining to Japan, or to the lacquered work of that country.
- v. To cover with a coat of hard, brilliant varnish, in the manner of the Japanese; to lacquer.
- v. rare To give a glossy black to, as shoes.
- v. coat with a lacquer, as done in Japan
- n. lacquer with a durable glossy black finish, originally from the orient
- n. a string of more than 3,000 islands to the east of Asia extending 1,300 miles between the Sea of Japan and the western Pacific Ocean
- n. lacquerware decorated and varnished in the Japanese manner with a glossy durable black lacquer
- n. a constitutional monarchy occupying the Japanese Archipelago; a world leader in electronics and automobile manufacture and ship building
- From Japan, due to this varnishing process being an imitation of oriental (East Asian) processes. (Wiktionary)
- After Japan . (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The Idea of dropping the PS3 in japan is a marketing ploy in a bone dry market.”
“First of all This style in japan is called bozo zuko style.”
“He thinks that talking big in japan and Asia, he can get back his credibility.”
“Yeah, the truth .. like secret blacklists in japan for people that dis health care ..”
“I live in japan n could download skype app early this morning … It works amazingly fine.”
“The second world war for japan is seen much differently than we in the west see it.”
“Pilotshark says: pezmiztix says: and the fact that chinese were brutalized and raped by the japan. by the japan? japan is a country, remember us dropping two atomic bombs on the japan, how do you thing the china felt about that. you know you are not even smart enough to be ignorant, you unpatriotic coward.”
“But i agree, woman rights in japan are still a big problem and like every piece of art its always a mirror of its society and im quite sure these games (RapeLay or God of War) are showing up because of the characteristics of our society.”
“The markets more focused in japan but penetrating that stuff is a whole another can of worms.”
“May 12, 2009 at 8: 10 AM umm i would say somewhere in japan”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘japan’.
Words relating to Afghanistan
It seems that whenever I look away, new gadgets and devices and tools and dishes and utensils and ingredients are multiplying in my kitchen drawers and my cabinets.
Capitonyms are, properly, words which change meaning and sound when they change case. This particular list may also erringly include words which change meaning, but not sound. These are improper. S...
Or has paid other countries to bomb/invade.
A good way to have an opponent make a bad challenge.
Country names which happen to be acceptable for play during a game of Scrabble.
Words that change meaning when capitalized
Kad, you've created a monster. ;-)
Looking for tweets for japan.