from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of any of a group of tribes inhabiting the hills and plateaus of northeast Myanmar (Burma) and adjacent parts of China, Laos, and Thailand.
- n. The Tai language of the Shan.
- adj. Of or relating to the Shan or their language or culture.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A people living primarily in the Shan State of Myanmar (also known as Burma), and in adjacent areas of China, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam, with about 6 million people.
- n. The language of this people, in the Tai-Kadai language family.
- n. A state in Thailand.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Shan people or the Shan language.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Nautical, a defect in spars, most commonly from bad collared knots; an injurious compression of fiber in timber: the turning out of the cortical layers when the plank has been sawed obliquely to the central axis of the tree.
- n. Same as shanny.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a branch of the Tai languages
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The movie, based on the popular series of books by Darren Shan, is a fantasy-adventure about a teenager who unknowingly breaks a 200-year-old truce between two warring factions of vampires.
The two demons in question were called Shan and Gath.
Young Tai Shan is scheduled to be handed back to the Red Chinese soon, so we could use a new baby panda.
On account of its situation, its southern portion is sometimes called Shan-hai-kwan-wai
The Vampire’s Assistant, based on the popular series of books by Darren Shan, is a fantasy-adventure about a teenager who unknowingly breaks a 200-year-old truce between two warring factions of vampires.
I’m having the same issue Shan is having with the page … oh well, I don’t think I would have been first anyway. —
The problem affects about 200 people in a village in Shandong province who share the surname Shan
The problem affects about 200 people in a village in Shandong province who share the surname Shan | clusterflock etc.
The Kashmiri pink tea is what dreams are made of lingering flavor, undescribable joy..at each sip throws you into the nostalgia of a city called Shan e Avadh..
The curly alphabet in his exercise book, also called Shan, is a written thread that connects him with millions of his people living in Myanmar and around the world.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.