from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of any of a group of tribes inhabiting the hills and plateaus of northeast Myanmar (Burma) and adjacent parts of China, Laos, and Thailand.
- n. The Tai language of the Shan.
- adj. Of or relating to the Shan or their language or culture.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A people living primarily in the Shan State of Myanmar (also known as Burma), and in adjacent areas of China, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam, with about 6 million people.
- n. The language of this people, in the Tai-Kadai language family.
- n. A state in Thailand.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Shan people or the Shan language.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Nautical, a defect in spars, most commonly from bad collared knots; an injurious compression of fiber in timber: the turning out of the cortical layers when the plank has been sawed obliquely to the central axis of the tree.
- n. Same as shanny.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a branch of the Tai languages
Sorry, no etymologies found.