from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To exceed in manpower; outnumber: The country's army was outmanned and outgunned.
- transitive v. To get the better of; overwhelm or defeat: Our team was outmanned six to one.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To have more people than (one's competitor)
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To excel in manhood or manliness; be more of a man than; outdo as a man.
- To outnumber as regards men; have more men than.
- n. One who lives or works outside of the bounds, as of a town.
out- + man (Wiktionary)