from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To exceed in manpower; outnumber: The country's army was outmanned and outgunned.
- transitive v. To get the better of; overwhelm or defeat: Our team was outmanned six to one.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To have more people than (one's competitor)
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To excel in manhood or manliness; be more of a man than; outdo as a man.
- To outnumber as regards men; have more men than.
- n. One who lives or works outside of the bounds, as of a town.
Once I did succeed in outmanœuvering Demetrios, so that my bow bumped into him amidships.
Unusual as she clearly was, Malalai Kakar was also part of a long-standing tradition of Afghan women who "outman" their men in bravery.
Through their ability to hire high-powered legal teams they determine the outcome of trials, and are able to effectively outman federal officials when the government attempts to bring them to book.
Shawn P. Moran, a 10-year U.S. Border Patrol veteran who serves as vice president of the National Border Patrol Council Local 1613, added that the drug gangs are heavily armed and well-equipped, and can easily outman and outgun U.S. authorities.
But Callahan, a trusted Gruden assistant for four years in Oakland and a close associate since the early 1990s, couldn't outman or outhustle his buddy's dedicated charges.
During the eighteenth century the German Catholics had been quite outman uvered by the Protestants, and in the early decades of the nineteenth century found themselves politically powerless.
Hopefully they will continue to outman outperson their opponents as the tournament continues.
It's fun knowing that you can shut the other person down and outrebound the other team, just outman them, out-tough them.
To me, that would have been a good use of Hannahan. about his HR in this thread this morning I thought - sure, naturally that would happen. with duchscherer and what they expected with gallagher & gio, plus braden and one of eveland / outman / spare part its not such a bad gamble.
- John Lackey to Ian Kinsler, 5 / 16 / 09 the a's pitching reminds me a lot of early 2000's ranger pitching josh outman was embarassing us. forgot about that
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.