from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To remove ice or frost from: defrosted the windshield.
- transitive v. To cause to thaw.
- intransitive v. To become free of ice or frost: a freezer that defrosts automatically.
- intransitive v. To become thawed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To remove frost from.
- v. To thaw something.
- v. To recover from something tiresome.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To become free of frost or ice.
- intransitive v. To thaw; -- used especially of items removed from a freezer, such as frozen foods.
- transitive v. To remove the frost or ice from.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To remove the effects of frost or freezing from; restore to a sound unfrozen condition or state.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make or become free of frost or ice
Sorry, no etymologies found.
For this, perhaps you mean season 8 episode "New Order" when they "defrost" Jack and he sees that Teal'c has hair and he starts asking "Teal'c, what's with the hair?"
Those fridge/freezer combos have a "defrost" cycle which lets things get above freezing, which creates water vapor on items, which adds to freezer burn.
I can never get my "defrost" setting to work right.
You can activate this at home by pressing the "defrost" button.
Which means I have to start including more stories about projectile vomiting and climbing on the hoods of cars in the dead of winter and pissing on the windshields in order to drunkenly "defrost" the windshield.
"The Minions can, in their inimitably violent way, 'defrost' him and then give chase as he knuckles out into the snowy wastes of the Hunting Grounds, near the town of Nordberg."
GE Consumer & Industrial announced recently that it would create a new line of "smart" refrigerators that would be able to avoid running energy-consuming tasks, such as defrost cycles, during power grid peak times.
Kenmore 16922 8.8 cubic-foot manual defrost chest freezer for $244; .
Some of the vehicles had secret compartments that could be opened only by triggering a sequence of car functions such as flicking on the turn signal, pushing in the defrost button and then hitting a window switch.
My uncle one winter didn't wait for the defrost on his old truck.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.