American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Dazed or distracted with romantic sentiment.
- adj. Affected by insanity; crazed.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Affected or regarded as affected in mind or health by the light of the moon; lunatic; crazed; dazed.
- adj. obsolete crazy or insane when affected by the phases of the Moon.
- adj. by extension Showing irrational behaviour, especially of a romantic or sentimental nature.
- adj. obsolete Made sick, or (like fishes) unsuitable for food, by the supposed influence of the Moon.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Mentally affected or deranged by the supposed influence of the moon; lunatic.
- adj. Produced by the supposed influence of the moon.
- adj. Made sick by the supposed influence of the moon, as a human being; made unsuitable for food, as fishes, by such supposed influence.
- adj. insane and believed to be affected by the phases of the moon
- moon + struck (Wiktionary)
- From the belief that the moon caused insanity. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Dick was not "moonstruck," but he had a manly regard for Dora that did him credit.”
“He can say of Johnson that he was "moonstruck," but it is from no lofty height of fancied superiority, but he uses the word as a naturalist uses a term to describe an object he loves.”
“Again Matthew uses the word best translated as "moonstruck" to describe the patient's condition.”
“Kate was still staring at him, a moonstruck expression on her face.”
“Best Grossing Films of 1990 best movies 1987, beverly hills cop II, fatal attraction, good morning vietnam, moonstruck, movies 1987, theater 1987, three men and a baby, top movies 1987, Trivia”
“On that evening, I hoped my children were moonstruck, like me, and that they might be recalling another magical night we had shared, long ago.”
“Like a moonstruck teenager, McCain was smitten overnight with Palin.”
“We can has partee wif firemenz an martoonies an moonstruck chonklits an eberyfing?”
“Just as the male fruit fly looks rather ridiculous doing his courtship dance for the female, there is nothing so absurd as a moonstruck male wooing a woman by rhyming "moon" and "June.”
“The way Shakespeare wrote it, the moonstruck lovers Romeo and Juliet are to seal their amorous intentions with a kiss.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘moonstruck’.
Movies or TV shows where the titles are also common words, generally one-word titles.
Unabashedly stolen from a comment made by courier12.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
List for old and new terms and phrases meaning crazy, nuts, batty, prone to extreme nervousness, etc.
There's a jar I've been adding movie ticket stubs to since about age twelve. I am pleased to have a more accessible way of keeping track of the movies I've seen. Even if some are pretty embarrassin...
dedicated to my man Steven, without whom i would be addicted to drugs, lying in a gutter, hating myself, or hooking somewhere :)
Words to describe the mad, the insane, the... well, me.
Inspired by Peter Reading's "Euphemisms".
Looking for tweets for moonstruck.