American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Grown abnormally into the flesh: an ingrown toenail.
- adj. Inbred; innate: ingrown habits.
- adj. Insular; self-contained: "the small, ingrown world of lower Manhattan” ( Forbes).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Grown from within; innate: as, “Art with Language lived ingrown,”
- Grown inward: as, an ingrown nail.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Having grown or appearing to grow into some other substance, especially a fingernail or toenail growing into the adjacent flesh.
- adj. growing abnormally into the flesh
“Truth, purity, firmness, love to Jesus, all that belongs to a formal conversion and more, is centralized thus in the soul, as a kind of ingrown habit.”
“Cheever's flickering back and forth between a yearning for light and the destructive lure (alcoholic, carnal) of darkness is rendered on a scale at once "ingrown" and vast.”
“Transdermal electrolysis can be particularly beneficial for treating conditions such as ingrown hairs and distorted follicles.”
“Pointy-toed boots can pinch feet, leading to calluses and deformities such as ingrown toenails, hammertoes and bunions.”
“We are the largest Laser Hair affiliated removal lasers are effective treatment for pseudofolliculitis barbae (commonly called ingrown hairs or”
“You could have the doctor that delivered Obama in Hawaii stand with Obama's birth certificate on top of the Empire State Building and the wingnuts would not believe it, or find another reason (besides already ingrown racism) to dislike Obama ....”
“We try to reach from the center of these 20 million people, reach creation from an ingrown spiral of self-congratulation.”
“She represented a very ingrown, incestuous culture in that institution that's not open to different ways of thinking.”
“The play is about the corrosive brand of claustrophobia that afflicts country life - particularly as a city-dwelling writer might perceive it - and how an ingrown culture can curdle the soul.”
“I think she represented a very ingrown, incestuous culture in that institution that's not open to not only different ways of thinking but angry at the fact that I would even talk or be on FOX...to my mind, this is good news for NPR for people who care about news in America.”
Looking for tweets for ingrown.